Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My First Experience with 2008

So, New Year's Day, I did what anyone would do, I cut the grass (yes CUT the grass), cleaned the patio, got paint on me, picked up larger limbs for fire wood, went to the Home Depot and the Publix (grocery store). You know, I relaxed! And yes, that really is relaxing for me.

The best part was the Publix. I go in, grab my groceries and get in a line where the cashier is waiting for the person to come back because he forgot something. I guess as collateral he decided to leave his 3 young children to hold his place in line. The kid closest to me couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old.

I also notice that on the belt is a 12 pack of Miller Light 16 ounce Tall Boys and nothing else.

The guy (father, baby daddy, whatever) finally comes back (yes I had stayed in line because believe it or not, that line was STILL the shortest), with a package of bacon. So now we got bacon and beer, breakfast of champions, BABY!

The cashier scans the bacon and at the same time, the 7 or 8 year old points to a National Enquirer and ASKS the guy (father, baby daddy), if he can HAVE it to read. He's a KID, what KID reads that crap? The guy (father, baby daddy) says no. (You know priorities, beer, bacon, I get it.) And they leave.

Here's the thing...I didn't know whether to be floored that the kid asked for that rag, the National Enquirer or to be elated that he knew how to read at all. I mean sure the NE (National Enquirer) is written at about 6th grade level which would be great for the kid to be reading about grade level, but seriously, National Enquirer? 7-8 years old?

I'm probably going straight to hell for posting this but...come on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home