Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I'm sorry, excuse me....????

I recently read that woman will apologize for things even if it's not their fault, because that's the way we were taught. Maybe not by the people who raised us but rather, by society.

For example, this article said that women will even apologize to a chair if they accidentally run into it - a FUCKING INANIMATE OBJECT - "oops, sorry about that CHAIR, didn't mean to bump into you."

And then I thought, I don't do that, I don't apologize when it's not necessary, but after reading that article, I decided to make myself more aware of situations, just to see, in fact, if I apologized.

Sure enough, I did. And it floored me.

I was getting lunch in the building I work in, dressed professionally, work badge swinging from the hip and as I approached the escalator, a man stepped in front of me (nevermind that it could have turned into a dangerous situation), and I said, "oh, excuse me, I'm sorry."

Then.my.brain.went."click." And I went off.

I said, "excuse me, didn't you just cut in front of without so much as a WORD of excuse me?, I mean I learned that in FOURTH GRADE, that when you walk in front of someone, you say, "excuse me." (Yeah I followed this asshole). His response, "I didn't see you." (he was also fresh out of college looking with that white boy entitlement etched all over him)

Didn't see me? How could you FUCKING NOT SEE ME! I'm not small, I'm not invisible, I was carrying something in my hands. So I took pause and said, "oh well, then I'm sorry, my bad, I'm sorry you're such a self-centered MOTHERFUCKER."

Later that day as I was leaving the office, I called someone on the elevator a "rude cocksucker."

Because he was.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. M said...

J R, I've decided you are my fucking hero.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Why did I have to miss this???????

You are the fucking best! You make me proud!

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home