Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Abuse of Privilege

No, not the televison show, my office, the one I pretend to work at. Actually, I work pretty hard, but I digress. I've been up since 4:30 this morning to be to work by 6 so that I can leave at 2 for an appointment and still be able to get in a full work day. How's that for dedication?

I think most people would come in at the normal time and leave early, but we have a policy here that states that if you are out for the day and it's not pre-scheduled (ie vacation time, etc), then you get 1 point. So, if you call in sick, you get 1 point. If you arrive late or leave early, you get 1/2 a point. When these all add up to 6 points, you get reprimanded.

Close gaping mouths now. I know, I couldn't believe it either. I mean, I'm an adult, I get my work done, etc, etc. But...here's the thing, when one person abuses a privilege, the whole office (except upper management) suffers for it. Seems that this office use to have a pretty "adjustable" attendance policy in that, you show up, stay for 8 hours, get your work done, you're good. They didn't care what time you came in, as long as you came IN and STAYED for 8 HOURS. Well, clearly, some people aren't adults, thereby ruining it for others with the "point system."

They also let you work from home too, until they found that work wasn't being done and then they put a stop to it, I can't say that I blame them.

I'm just amazed that as children we want privileges, to be able to do things without asking, etc. Then as adults, when we (and I use we in the general terms), get these privileges, we take advantage, because we're entitled to it. Entitlement is a whole other post, believe me.

But as I sit here at 6:33 a.m., the office is quiet, I am able to relax, because I finished up my work last night, so no overflow today (this will change as the day goes on, trust me) and think about my appointment later today as I watch the sun come up over the city.

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Pissy said...

I worked for the District Attorney's Office for 12 years.

I can't even begin to tell you of the abuse of privliges (sp?) that went on there.

It all depended on which DA was in office at the time....

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home