Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Which Bug Would You Be?

I wasn't quite sure what to write about today, so I asked Bri to give me a topic and she said "what bug would you be, if you could and why." I thought this was a GREAT topic.

I would be the Trichogramma Wasp and this is why:

Trichogramma are among the smallest of insects, having a wingspread of about 1/50th of an inch. Despite its size, it is an efficient destroyer of eggs of many moth and butterflies which are the leaf-eaters in the larval stage. These parasitic insects disperse readily in their search for over 200 species of eggs to parasitize. The Trichogramma seeks out eggs, but does not feed on or harm vegetation. It is effective tool because it kills its host before the plant can be damaged.

They can be used in a variety of crops as well as in horticultural and ornamental plants. Trichogramma are used extensively in a variety of crops including cotton, corn, tomatoes, avocados, walnuts, pecans, apples, alfalfa, etc. The cost is so low that it is feasible to purchase them for massive releases.

Trichogramma are shipped on squares of black paper with about 5,000 plus eggs glued to one-1 inch square. The Trichogramma are developed inside these eggs and should emerge on or near the date marked on the package. It is best to release them as you see them emerging. Place them in the crotch of trees, or inside the leaves of the plant. Releases should begin early when moths are first present and on a weekly basis thereafter.

In an eggshell, HA HA HA, I slay me, I'd be small, but incredibly effective.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN Y'ALL!!!! or Youse Guys!

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Pissy said...

Considering where I live and how common they are here~I'd probably be a cockroach.

Oh well. At least I'd survive nuclear war.

But as a cockroach. :(

Happy Halloween! :)

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home