Tuesday, November 14, 2006

We Interrupt This Regularly Scheduled Program...

So that I can talk about a conversation I had with my mother.

I called my mom to try and get ideas for Xmas gifts for them, my nephew, sister, etc., of course from my mom I get the standard "don't worry about me and your father". Yeah, ok, wrong answer. So then I asked her, "What do you think I can get for Caden"? (my nephew), she said "well he has so much, so why not a savings bond or something like that." Which is fine, I think, but he's ONE, so he has to have something to open, if anything so I can see him open it. This will be in addition to a savings bond or something like that.

So then I said to my mom, "don't tell Leslie (my sister), that at this point, Caden is the sole beneficiary of my 401K, unless I start my own family and even then, Caden will still get some of that money". Then I said, "just so you and Dad know, I have a life insurance policy that will more than cover funeral costs, any unpaid bills, etc., with plenty left over". Please, don't anyone start planning my demise, you won't get a DIME of the insurance money and you'll be in jail with your new boyfriend, BUBBA.

Then my mom says to me "well, how do you want to be buried, in the event that you go before me?" And I said, "I want to be cremated, graveside viewing, no funeral home and you can scatter my ashes". She said, "or maybe you can be buried next to your grandparents (they're in 2 different cemetaries), because I'm being creamated and buried next to my father and your father wants to be cremated too." So, I thought that was a good idea too.

I said, "well, this conversation went from holiday to morbid pretty fast, but I guess it's necessary". What my mom said next, really got to me. She said, "J, I'm not worried about your brother because he has "A" (his girlfriend of 10 years, no, they are not married, don't ask.), but you have no one right now and I worry about that, so I'm glad you told me your plans and the arrangements you made to take care of it." I also know I need to get a living will and a regular will too, just in case.

No, I am not old (34), no I am not sick, but I guess this was a conversation that had to be had, better sooner than never.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

3 Comments:

Blogger hotdrwife said...

It's entirely important to have these conversations. You never know what can happen in life! It's a dirty bitch sometimes!!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother has shown me her and my stepdads burial plots. They will be buried on a hill. Freaks me out to hear her talk about it.

I never know what to get my family. I hate buying gift certificates, but they leave me no choice.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have told my sister what I want. And I need to tell my parents just in case. Cause once they do something you are stuck with it for eternity. It is important.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home