Monday, July 26, 2004

ME HULK (aka the Intimidator)

On top of the fact that I'm an Angry New Yorker, apparently, I'm also intimidating.  This is what I was told by my ex. Let me set the story.

At the house, some people had stopped over, one of them being a friend of the ex that we'll call "R". Well, "R" had too much to drink coupled with the fact that she was tired so as she reached for her beer, she spilled the last bit of it on an envelope with some documents in it.

NO BIGGIE (in caps for a reason). I got up, carefully picked up the envelope as I could move faster at this point, and was envisioning beer hitting the hardwood floors that I am installing myself, yes, REAL hardwoods that you have to nail to the floor, none of that glue crap for me(flex) and took the envelope to the sink, dumped in the remaining pool of beer, grabbed a paper towel and wiped the envelope off.

Okay, so maybe my stress level did elevate slightly, but that's because blatant carelessness bothers the hell out of me, always has.   Then I was asked by "R", "oh was that yours?" and I said "no, but no biggie, it was so and so's" to which "R" responded, "oh, then she won't mind."  Yea, like I'm going to take your damn head off over an envelope with spilled beer.  Now, if you spilled it on my term paper, then I'd take your damn head off down to you knee caps.

So, after everyone left, I asked my ex (yea will still live together, separate bedrooms, don't ask), I wonder what "R" meant by that, asking if it were my envelope. To which I was told, "because you're intimidating."  So, when I returned from reeling, yep, it's on the corner of "you've got to be kidding me and what the hell", I said, "no, I'm not." Assertive? yes, stand up for myself?, yes, not put up with stupid bs?, yes, I'm all that.

Intimidating? no way.   I even had to ask my friends to validate this because I am that much of a pushover.  I took a deep breath upon hearing that, shook my head and walked back upstairs to go to bed.  The whole time thinking, if not cowering to others and and not giving in to others, and not being afraid to speak your mind makes me intimidating, then so be it. But I will not travel down that road labeled "too sensitive" again and be pushed back into my shell like so many times before.

If "R" can't handle that, that's her problem, not mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home