Thursday, December 16, 2004

Remember When?

I found this site today called, Rate Your Professor.com (www.rateyourprofessor.com) and it lists all the colleges in the US. So, I went back so to speak to "visit" my undergrad professors at UGA and I found that they are ALL GONE, with the exception of one. I only checked those that are in the English Department because they have the most influential impact upon me. They're gone. Moved on, retired, teaching somewhere else. I'm sure a few have died as everyone must. Then it hit me, I've been out of college for a long time. Well, out of undergrad at any rate and I realized how much time has flown by.

Even the seasons seem to rush by too quickly and the holidays don't feel like holidays anymore. It's all about who can get there faster, who can afford the most gifts, who has the most "toys", another day, another dollar. I'm 32 and I looked around at what I have and what I don't and well, I've got work to do. The tangible things don't mean so much to me anymore; I mean you can't take it with you when you die (or maybe you can?)

In the end, I want to be remembered for my kindness, sarcasm, thoughtfulness, selflessness and intelligence. You can have your houses, your 3 car garages, your SUV's. It's all too much for one person anyway in my opinion and no it's not because these things are out of my grasp, but as I get older, my values have changed.

In the end, I'd rather be surrounded with those who love me for who I am, than be surrounded by those for what I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home