Friday, December 08, 2006

Tis' the Season

I'll get to the 8th Grade in a moment, but right now, before I forget I want to talk about the Holiday Season and office protocol.

At my office, we do a Secret Santa. I know you all know how this usually works. You put your name in the hat and pick out a name (hopefully it's not your own name), then you go out and spend, what 10-15 bucks on a gift, or sometimes no limit is set and you get a small gift. I'm ok with that.

This year, the email came around, that said the follwing: (yes people, this is the ACTUAL email with names and company name removed)

Greetings Everyone,



It’s that time of year again. It is my understanding that no one told LaNell they did NOT want to participate. If you do NOT wish to participate, speak now or forever hold your piece.


Here are the rules for this year’s QA/Admin Gift Exchange:



$20-25 limit (more if you so choose)

Each person submits to me a list of three to five things they’d like by 2pm today

Each list will be assigned a number from 1 to 9 based on the order they’re received

After all lists are received, I’ll go around and have everyone select a number

Each person’s recipient will be revealed after they select a number

Gifts will be exchanged on December 18th

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Okay, here's what got me a TWENTY TO TWENTY-FIVE DOLLAR LIMIT? Whatever happened to, oh, being thankful for any small gift you got, regardless of price? Whatever happened to "Hey, I got a Book of Lifesavers"? - I LOVE THOSE THINGS.

The fact that a limit was set, sort of irked me. Not that I don't have it, but we all aren't in the same financial boat and I mean, 20-25 is a tank of gas, some groceries, a case of beer (kidding), but you know what I mean.

So this is what I put on my my list:

I would like to request that whomever gets my name to make a donation to one of the following (1 being the one that’s closest to me) organizations in the form of 20-25 in my name.



The Alzheimers Foundation of America - http://www.alzfdn.org/
The American Cancer Society - http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp
Aids/HIV Awareness especially for Children - www.SavetheChildren.org


I’m requesting this, because although a gift would be nice, I have everything I want and need (or I can obtain these things) and I have my health.



Thanks,
JR Estelle (of course I used my real name)


So yeah, this is how I asked my Secret Santa to "gift" me. The guy I have to buy for, yeah, let's just say that one of his items was Hennessey. Um, no and thanks for playing.

And now...on to the 8th Grade.

1 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Hennessy? Oh, hell no.

I took part in one of these things once and I stressed out finding the perfect $20 gift. And what did I get? Old Spice.

Old Spice.

For a 25 year old man.

Talk about suck ass gifts.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home